VULNERABILITY CONVERSATION REMINDERS - CLICK IMAGE FOR MORE DETAILS IN A NEW WINDOW.
Symptoms of stress incontinence are the following:
- Experiencing leakage when you exercise
- Experiencing leakage when you cough, laugh or sneeze
- Leaking when standing up
- Leaking when lifting something heavy.
A GP may suggest you make simple changes to your lifestyle to improve your symptoms, regardless of the type of urinary incontinence you have. For example, the GP may recommend:
- Reducing intake of caffeine, which is found in tea, coffee and cola, as caffeine can increase the amount of urine the body makes
- Altering how much fluid is drunk each day, as drinking too much or too little can make incontinence worse
- Losing weight if one is overweight or obese